For the almond layers
175 g or 2 2/3 dl (6 oz or about 1 1/4 cups) almonds
175 g or 2 4/5 dl (6 oz or about 3/4 cups) sugar
2 egg whites
For the custard
1 1/2 dl (2/3 cups) milk
2 tbsp sugar
2-3 tbsp cornstarch
1/4-1/2 tsp vanilla powder
optional: 1 tbsp butter
For the filling
3 slices of pineapple in juice
4 dl (1 2/3 cups) whipped cream
3 tbsp powdered sugar
1 tbsp water
1 slice of pineapple in juice
a few glacé cherries
(remaining whipped cream)
- Set the oven to 200°C/390°F.
- Make the layers: Blanche the almonds to remove the skin. Pat off excess water from the skinless almonds and either grind them in a nut grinder or mix them in an electric mixer. You want it to be finely ground. Add the powdered sugar and egg whites and blend until you have a smooth paste.
- Take a baking paper, put a small plate on it (mine was about 18cm in diameter), and draw two circles. Place it on a baking tray and spread the almond paste over it. Bake in the oven until it gets slightly golden — it took me 15 minutes but will depend on the oven, so keep an eye on the layers so they don’t burn. Once they are ready, let them cool on the baking papers before removing them.
- Make the custard: add all the ingredients to a saucepan and whisk it over low heat until it thickens. If it doesn’t get thick enough, you can add a little bit more cornstarch. Remove it from the heat and let it cool.
- Once the layers and the custard have cooled, make the simple filling: Drain the pineapple slices and chop them finely. Whip the cream until it is thickly whipped. Note: If you want to decorate the cake with whipped cream, reserve the amount you want — I used a few tablespoons. Stir the pineapple into the remaining whipped cream.
- Now it’s time to assemble! Spread one of the layers with the custard. On top of the custard, add the whipped cream and pineapple-filling. Add the second layer on top, so you get the flat side facing up.
- Decorate: Stir together the powdered sugar and water. Spread it over the top layer. Cut the pineapple slice into small pieces. Decorate the cake as you wish with whipped cream, small pieces of pineapple, and glacé cherries.
- Enjoy your delicious retro cake!